On the 4th August, 1577, the quiet village of Bungay cowered under storm clouds as lightning rent the sky. As the storm grew, the villagers gathered in St. Mary's church to pray for deliverance from the rain, hail and ever-darkening skies.
But the storm was the least of their problems on that long-ago night. For a black hell hound appeared in their midst, tearing around the church and mauling several villagers. Then, the beast departed, haring across 12 miles of countryside to Blythburgh Church, where it reputedly killed two men in the belltower before departing this world, never to be seen again. The entity that caused the scorch marks is today often identified with Black Shuck.
Today, visitors to the church can still see the black scorch marks on the church door, where the corporeal beast left his eternal mark for all to see.