Police Corruption, Cover Ups and Miscarriages of Justice

Posted in > > Police Corruption, Cover Ups and Miscarriages of Justice > Timeline

  • 5th October 1975
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Last seen alive
    Lesley Molseed leaves her home at 11 Delamere Road to get some bread for her parents
  • 8th October 1975
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Body found
    Lesley's body is found on a natural grass shelf near a layby of the A672. She has been stabbed 12 times - one of which was sufficiently deep to have penetrated her heart. Her body has arranged after death, and the killer has ejaculated on her underwear.
  • December 1975
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Arrest and confession of Stefan Kiszko
    Following reports from local girls that Kiszko has exposed himself to them, police arrest him on suspicion of abducting and murdering Lesley. Without a solicitor present - and having received no formal caution - he is questioned for three days until he confesses, apparently believing that he will be allowed to go home and his innocence proven later at court.
  • 21st June 1976
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Kiszko convicted of murder
    After five hours of deliberation, the jury at Leeds crown court finds Kiszko guilty of the murder of Lesley Molseed. He is sentenced to life imprisonment.
  • May 1978
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: First appeal
    Kiszko's first appeal against his sentence is rejected.
  • 23rd December 1983
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Kiszko dies
    Within months of obtaining his freedom, Kiszko dies at home of heart failure.
  • 15th April 1989 - 12:00
    The Hillsborough Disaster: The crowd gathers
    The crowds have gathered outside the ground in the spring sunshine. Spirits are high and the turnstiles to the Leppings Lane end of the Hillsborough stadium are opened.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:00
    The Hillsborough Disaster: More Liverpool fans arrive
    A special train of Liverpool supporters arrives at nearby Wadsley Bridge station and are escorted to the ground by police.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:15
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Trouble at the Leppings Lane end
    As the crowds file in to the Leppings Lane end it is clear that the central terraces are filling up while the terracing at either side of the stand are relatively empty. Tannoy announcements ask the fans in the central terrace to move forward to allow more fans in behind them.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:17
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Early concerns
    Outside the ground, a police officer becomes concerned at the number of fans at the Leppings Lane end and asks for traffic on the road to be stopped.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:20
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Fans arrive from Wadsley Bridge station
    The 350 extra Liverpool fans arrive at the ground.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:26
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Attempts to control the crowd
    A Landrover equipped with a loudhailer arrives and police begin to ask the crowd not the push.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:40
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Crowd build-up outside
    There are now an estimated 5000 fans in or just outside the turnstiles leading into the Liverpool end. Some are already short of breath and feeling the oppressive heat of the crowd. The police realise that not all of the fans will be inside the ground in time for the 3pm kick off.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:44
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Call for reinforcements
    Disconcerted by the swelling crowd, the superintendent calls for reinforcements to deal with crowd control.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:48
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Gate C Opened
    Gate C at the Leppings Lane end is opened as police eject a fan who has arrived without a ticket. 150 fans surge in past the turnstile before the gate is closed.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:50
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Increasing pressure at the gates
    More Liverpool fans continue to be channelled down the central tunnel at the Leppings Lane end. As kick off time draws near, some fans begin to push to try and get in more quickly. People start to be jammed against walls and the turnstiles. Women and children start to faint in the crush and fans start to clamber over the turnstiles and fences to escape the crush.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:52
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Gates opened
    Concerned about the developing crush outside, CS Duckenfield orders gate C to be opened. In under five minutes, 2000 fans enter the ground in a rush, mostly into the Leppings Lane end of the ground.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:54
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Gates A and B are opened
    Similarly concerned about a crush outside the ground, Sgt. Higgins orders that Gate A is also opened - allowing a further lot of fans to surge into the pen. Around the same time, gate B is opened and yet another 200 fans are allowed to enter the pen. Both gates have been opened against the wishes of the gatemen.
  • 15th April 1989 - 14:59
    The Hillsborough Disaster: First intimations of disaster
    CI Edmondson, listening to radio traffic from the ground at South Yorkshire police headquarters detects sounds of distress and evident confusion and asks whether ambulances are on stand by.
  • 15th April 1989 - 15:00
    The Hillsborough Disaster: The match kicks off
    With the mounting problems still largely misunderstood, the teams kick off.
  • 15th April 1989 - 15:04
    The Hillsborough Disaster: Beardsley hits the crossbar
    Peter Beardsley's shot wobbles the woodwork. The Liverpool fans at the Leppings Lane end surge forward in their excitement.
  • 15th April 1989 - 15:05
    The Hillsborough Disaster: The match is ended
    Greenwood, the ground commander, notices the distress and panic of fans in the stands and runs onto the pitch to tell the referee to stop the game. Referee Ray Lewis blows the whistle and brings the game to a stop.
  • 18th February 1992
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Kiszko found innocent
    After 22 years of confinement - during which he has developed schizophrenia - judges rule him to be innocent on the basic of forensic evidence which positively prove his innocence. In his frail state, it is 9 months before he is able to leave hospital.
  • 25th May 2000
    Barry George: Arrested
    George is arrested at his home by detectives in connection with Jill Dando's murder.
  • 29th May 2000
    Barry George: Charged
    George is charged with the murder.
  • 26th February 2001
    Barry George: Trial begins
    George enters an innocent plea. The prosecution argues that he is obsessed with guns and celebrity.
  • 2nd July 2001
    Barry George: Convicted
    George is convicted of the murder - largely due to the presence of a single speak of gunpowder residue found on his jacket by a police forensic team. He is sentenced to life imprisonment.
  • 29th July 2002
    Barry George: First appeal fails
    George's first appeal is rejected by the High Court.
  • 20th June 2007
    Barry George: New appeal granted
    Solictors working for George convince a court that his conviction was based almost entirely on flimsy forensic evidence.
  • 15th August 2007
    Barry George: Conviction quashed
    The Court of Appeal rules George's conviction is unsafe and a retrial is ordered.
  • 12th November 2007
    Lesley Molseed and Stefan Kiszko: Ronald Castree found guilty of the murder of Lesley Molseed
    DNA evidence proves Castree to have been guilty of the murder of Lesley Molseed. He is sentenced to life imprisonment at Bradford crown court with a suggested minimum sentence of 30 years
  • 14th December 2007
    Barry George: Second trial begins
    George pleads not guilty to the murder of Jill Dando for a second time.
  • 1st August 2008
    Barry George: Found not guilty
    9 years after Dando's murder, and 7 since his wrongful conviction, Barry George is found not guilty of her murder and released as a free man.

Comments and Discussion